Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Sun and Shield

Psalm 84:11

For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord gives grace and glory—no good thing will He withhold to those who walk uprightly.

He is My Sun


I mentioned before that I received this verse at the Calvary Chapel Women's Retreat this year.  I loved getting this verse!  The Lord is my sun…without Him, I’d be in darkness!  I want to walk in the Light He gives me.  1 John 1:8 says that if I walk in the light, as He is in the light, I will have fellowship with other believers, and the blood of Jesus cleanses me from all sin.  

More scriptures about the light God gives us:

2 Cor 4:6

For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Eph 5:8

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.

1 Thessalonians 5:5

You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.


According to science, the sun provides energy.  All living things need the sun’s light to produce food.  The sun drives the creation in the production of energy.  Vitamin D comes from the sun.  Scientists are finding that without enough sun, people are prone to cancers and many other diseases.  My very life comes from God, who is my sun.  I think it's so great that God used the sun He created to show Himself to us.  The Lord God is my sun!

He is My Shield

Isaiah invites: come and let us walk in the light of the Lord.  It’s important to spend time with each other.  The world is a cruel, hard place.  Jesus told us that if they received Him, they would receive us…but they didn’t receive Him, so they don’t receive us either.  We need each other.

An illustration of this is when a pastor visited a man who had stopped attending church.  The man invited him in and they sat by the fire together.  As they chatted, the pastor reached down and pulled a live coal from the fire.  He lay it down at the edge of the grate, and the two continued talking.  After a while, the pastor told him that like that coal, the fire goes out when we don’t get together often enough and encourage each other.

Not only this, but the Lord gives me a home!  Psalm 68:6 says that the Lord sets the solitary (the lonely, the single, those who are alone) in families.  In this He is my Shield.  Precious!  I love that God cares enough about me to set me in a place where I am cared for by others.  He is my Shield!

The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34:7
He gives me His Protection.  I am safe in His arms.  Many scriptures show this to be true.  Psalm 91 is a great example of the safety of God.

HE who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.   I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."  He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. 


There is also a sense of His authority.  As I walk in Him, by faith I believe His word, and He allows me to speak the truth of scripture to others.  I have through Jesus the authority of His word.  Because of this, I can pray for others and God will through me encourage, build up, strengthen them, or even heal!

God is my sun and shield!  He provides me a home, safety, and His comfort.  He lets me work for His Kingdom!  What more could I need?   

Dear Lord,

Thank you for who You are—my Sun and Shield.  You are so good to care for me and love me in spite of my failings.  Abba, please help me to appropriate the tools of Your Word to do the jobs you give me to do.  I love how You provide for me.  Help me to live contentedly with all You give me, for I am truly blessed.

Your Child,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment