Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Jesus, the Light of the World


John 1:6-11

There was a man sent from God whose name was John.  This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.

John the Baptist was Jesus’ cousin (Luke 1:5-25, 39-45) but didn’t know Jesus was the Messiah until God revealed it to him.  And John bore witness, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him.  I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'  And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.

Until the day Jesus stepped into the water to be baptized, John had no clue.  God gave him specific criteria that had to be met in order to find out who the Messiah was. 

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.  That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

John said he wasn’t the Messiah when asked by the Pharisees: He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ."
Jesus told the people around Him that He was the Messiah.  He made it clear again and again.  Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."  

He equated Himself with the Father, so that the religious leaders wanted to kill him.  He specifically used the phrase “I Am” when referring to Himself, which was the Tanakh, the Unutterable Name of God. 

"I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.

He promises that we don’t have to walk in darkness any longer! Since you no longer walk in darkness, you can live your life in such a way as to bring Him glory.  When you are His, you reflect the Light, so that others can see it.  “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16.)

Paul told the Ephesian church that they needed to emulate their Father: For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.  Walk as children of light (5:8-9.)  It was for this purpose we were saved from our sins—to proclaim the praises of Him “who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous kingdom of light” (1 Peter 2:9.)

He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

How ironic that He Who made the world and all that is in it, the Maker Himself, was not known by His creation.  He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.  Have you ever felt rejected?  Jesus was rejected.  He is a high priest who knows our weaknesses, as it says in Hebrews. 

The Pharisees rejected Him because of fear.  During their secret council, the leaders of the nation said "If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away our place and our nation” (John 11:48.)  His hometown rejected Him.  “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house” (Matthew 13:57) and His own family rejected Him. 

He was homeless, rejected of the world, and for what?  Philippians 2 says He humbled Himself “and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”  He made Himself “of no reputation,” so He could take our place.  He became accursed (Deuteronomy 21:23) so that we could be forgiven. 

The witness of John the Baptist is that Jesus is the promised Messiah.  He confirmed that Jesus was the one by the sign of the dove coming down and alighting on Jesus.  There were two witnesses of who Jesus was—the Father, who gave the sign, and John, who saw the sign.  In the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established Deuteronomy 19:15.

He took my sin and nailed it to the cross, so that I can have His life.  What a great deal for me!  I get eternal life, and in the meantime I get to live a good life, knowing I please God because He accepts Jesus’ death for what I deserved: death, Hell, and eternal punishment.

Recall that I mentioned the key to John: These are written that you might believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and in believing that you might have life in His name.

Do you believe?  Jesus is the Messiah, the Light of the World, the Word made flesh, who lived, and still lives, that we might know God.  Would you know Him?

     Dear Abba,
Thank You for the Light of Your Word! and for Your goodness toward me…for forgiveness, for your mercy, for your grace when I fail.  
     I love you, Lord.  Thank you for making me alive in Jesus.  Help me to shine Your light toward others today.  Help me to look to you for all my needs.
Help me to trust You in all things.
Your daughter,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment