Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Lord is a Sun and Shield

This blog is all about spending time daily reading the Bible.  Hold on, don't click that back button!  You're thinking the Bible is just a book, so what's the big deal?  Ah, but it's so much more!


     At the Calvary Chapel Women's Retreat (Bullhead City, Arizona) this year, my scripture was amazing: 


                        The Lord God is a sun and shield, the Lord will give grace and glory;
                             No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.  (Psalm 84:11) 


     I say it was amazing because I know that the word of God is never just an empty platitude, or a catchy phrase: God says of His Word that 


                           As the rain comes down
                                and the snow from heaven, 
                           And do not return there, but water the earth,
                                And make it bring forth and bud,
                           That it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 
                                So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
                           It shall not return to me without fruit,
                               But it shall accomplish what I please,
                           And it shall prosper in the thing for which I send it. (Isaiah 55:10-11)




     God takes His word so seriously that David said, 

I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name(Psalm 138:2)

God honors His word above His name...and that says a lot about His character.  If He makes a promise, He keeps it.



     When you read the Word of God, do you believe that God will use it in your life?  You do if you believe the God of the Bible, who
                          
                          Created the world in 6 days and rested (Genesis)
                          Caused the sun to stand still in the day and the moon at night (Joshua)
                          Prophesied of the coming Messiah (Genesis, Psalms, Isaiah, Micah, etc.)
                          Brought the dead to life (John)
                          Prepared a place for us to live with Him forever (John 14)
                          Willingly lay down His life for our sins (John 10:17)


And if you believe, do you read what God has said to you?  Here are some promises for those who will read this book:  

                 He gives delight and wisdom through His word:
Your testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors. (Psalm 119:24)


                 He promises peace when we love His word:
Great peace have those who love Your law, 
And nothing causes them to stumble. (Psalm 119:165)
               
                His word is a light to live by: 
 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105)


               His word can revive you (Both physically but most importantly spiritually!):
I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word. (Psalm 119:107)


              His word gives hope:
You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word. (Psalm 119:114)


     I don't pretend to be a theologian, but I have known the Lord and walked with Him for several years, and I can attest that His Word brings Life.  Those that trust Him will not be ashamed, as the Psalmist said.  


     I'm going to offer my daily devotion and share the things God is doing in my life through this page, in the hope that you will get excited about reading God's word and studying it with me.


I'm going to add some links that will help you get started.  Read the Bible online at 


http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.cfm


While there, you can listen to Sherry Youngward's scripture songs, either download them or just listen.  Here's the link:


http://www.blueletterbible.org/hymns/bio.cfm?bio=bio_y_o_youngward_s


If you need prayer, email me at this address and I'll contact you personally


donnalcologna@gmail.com


God bless you as you read His Living Word!






                    

No comments:

Post a Comment